I made it :KOTR 10k

>> Monday, October 13, 2008


I am not much of a runner as the treadmill does not excite me at all .I hate  following the motion of a machine with a pace depending on your strength (or weakness). Running outdoor  is  neither  stimulating as  pollution irritates me.  Since I  have transferred from one club (gym) to another several years back, what I truly enjoyed most was the group exercise where I get the chance to share my exhaustion and relief with my gym buddies at the end of  each workout I may be a solitary person, but when it comes to working out, I prefer to sweat out with friends which I always look forward to everyday. 

Out of nowhere, Jonas convinced me to join the Adidas King of the Road (KOTR) which I nonchalantly agreed. Initially, I registered for 5k while 21k for Jonas. We later decided to both join 10k  instead. Reason being, I pestered   Jonas on the effect of abrupt increase to 21k as this is  just his second time to join a marathon. He on the other hand convinced me to run 10k as I have already tried 7.5k last year. Meaning, we have 4 singlets  (ahihihihi).

Come October 11, 2008, Jonas and I were physically and emotional ready to  hit the road together with thousands of eager runners.  Different personalities were present, known and unknown, but with  one common goal :  to run. When the gun was fired for the 10k race, everyone started   running. I couldn’t trace my pace, despite the polar watch  RS200 SD that I bought a day before just for this event, as  my  eyes was preoccupied with those in front of me who were running so fast and those behind me who were zooming past me. I wanted to follow the pace of my fellow runners but I just couldn’t do such.   Instead, I opted to walk, sometimes slow and fast in between jog and run.  Buendia flyover, which is a familiar lane for all people who travel  to and from the south area, was the most challenging road I’ve ever passed. Heading  towards half  the 10k, saw Jonas already wearing the blue straw in his neck ( proof that  he has reached half of the race)going back to  Buendia flyover. Seeing the exhaustion in my face, my husband lovingly motioned that I skip on the fence and just go  back with him. My body wanted so much to stop, but my heart turned out to be stronger than my body at that point in time.  Geeh, got slight relief when the marshall handed to me the  blue straw which I proudly put into my neck. 5k more and I will reach the finish line. Going back to Buendia flyover, I bumped into a  gym buddy, Rhoze Lim who was with a pro runner. We were given a  tip that going up a hill is easier  and less tiring if you jog at a very slow pace, and so I did. The mere sight of Jollibee from Buendia flyover somehow gave me a sheer anticipation that I was nearing the finish line.  Few minutes more, saw the flow of sweating runners  being cheered by quite a few onlookers.  And there I was, heart pounding, eagerly running towards the lane for Female participants.  I made the 10k for 1 hour and 18 minutes.

With this milestone, I am now determined to  run (indoor and outdoor) and hit the gym. Don’t you want this too?

 

2 comments:

Anonymous October 22, 2008 at 12:29 AM  

whew! that was an achievement! how would you convince other people to believe you're already 40 when in fact you're as active as a 20something and you definitely dont look your age. it only means one thing.. you're growing old gracefully...

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

hey cuz.. i have a tag for you.

UPDATES ON MY OTHER BLOGS

Footer


  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP